Camellia Sinensis - 1 Gallon Container - Large & Beautiful Live Tea Plant - Brew Your Own Black, White, Green & Oolong Tea by Florida Foliage at Think Earth Shop. Hurry! Limited time offer. Offer valid only while supplies last. Chinese legend dates green tea back to 2737 BC. Green tea is currently being studied for its beneficial uses, and as a treatment for a number of different conditions and illnesses. Most of the western world drinks black tea while much of Asia, the Middle East and northern Africa drinks green tea. All teas come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis, the different coloring is due to different processing of the teas. The health benefits of green tea are mainly credited to the catechin
Product Description & Reviews
Chinese legend dates green tea back to 2737 BC. Green tea is currently being studied for its beneficial uses, and as a treatment for a number of different conditions and illnesses. Most of the western world drinks black tea while much of Asia, the Middle East and northern Africa drinks green tea. All teas come from the same plant, Camellia sinensis, the different coloring is due to different processing of the teas. The health benefits of green tea are mainly credited to the catechin polyphenols, particularly epigallocatechin gallate, or (EGCG). Plant polyphenols are powerful anti-oxidants and have numerous benefits that include inhibiting cancers and tumor formation, lowering LDL cholesterol levels, and inhibiting the abnormal formation of blood clots that can cause heart attacks and strokes. The calm, steady energy that seems to flow from sipping tea may be traced to L-theanine, an amino acid component of tea that has been shown in numerous studies to help reduce levels of stress and anxiety. Many studies indicate that green tea has positive effects in metabolic syndrome and weight loss. The importance of caffeine was also highlighted in these studies, green tea catechins taken alone had no significant effects. This underscores again the importance of using the whole herb in its simplest form, drinking tea as part of a healthy weight loss plan is more likely to help you achieve your goals. Tea can be especially beneficial when you drink it in lieu of unhealthy diet sodas and high fructose fruit drinks, however to get the full health benefits of green tea you should be consuming on average a minimum of 3 cups a day.
Features & Highlights
- Grown, packaged and shipped exclusively by Florida Foliage. This variety is the plant from which green, black, white, and oolong tea are produced. Each type (green vs. black) is made using different processing before drying of the leaves.
- Tea is harvested many times a year (as often as every 10 days), so a large plant can produce quite a bit of tea, but a hedge may be needed to supply a family with a daily supply. Freshly made tea is superior to tea which has been stored for even a few months.
- Camellia sinensis is part of the evergreen family. The leaves are glossy green with serrated edges. When allowed to flower (flowering is prevented during cultivation by harvesting the leaves, forcing the plant to constantly make more buds) the plant produces small white flowers with bright yellow stamens. The fruit that develops has a hard green shell and a single, round, brown seed. The seeds can be used to make tea oil.
- Green tea contains caffeine and it has been used to increase alertness. Green tea has also been used for cancer prevention, to lower cholesterol, and to prevent/delay Parkinson's disease.
- All tea is made from the same plant. Yes, you read right, all tea, whether it's black, oolong, green, white, or pu-erh, comes from the Camellia sinensis plant in the same way that all wine comes from the grape.
Have questions about this item, or would like to inquire about a custom or bulk order?
If you have any questions about this product, contact us by completing and submitting the form below. If you are looking for a specif part number, please include it with your message.